Thursday, September 24, 2009

Is cosmetic surgery a good idea?

I always thought cosmetic surgery was stupid. It's basically a dangerous operation that you don't need to have. Although, reconstructive surgery sounds more exceptable. Plastic surgery includes two different procedures: body modification and reconstructive surgery. Body modification means changing the body into something different. But reconstructive surgery is a useful surgery. Some people actually need plastic surgery for instance, in order to breathe better like Dan Barden. He wrote an interesting essay called "My New Nose", published in Mirror On America, about how his new nose changed who he was. His first nose job was supposed to correct a deviated septum but it ended up hardly fixing his breathing and looking horrible. People began asking him if he was a boxer and thought he had just lost a bunch of times. He thought about whether he wanted to keep this nose that made him look like a tough guy or whether he wanted another surgery to make him look more like himself. He got a second surgery making his nose finally go better with his personality. He could breathe easier and he wasn't held back by the concern of his nose looking terrifying. In Barden's essay he says, "Psychologically, my nose had become the emblem for all that held me back, and I had had to deal with it. Some people will tell you that's an inside job. Years of psychotherapy, spiritual growth--blah, blah, blah. Of course, they're right, but I believe rhinoplasty can also be a kind of spiritual growth. It has taught me how to be, or how to begin to be, self-effacing--the man who can lead and disappear at the same time." After reading this essay I'm a lot more sympathetic for cosmetic surgery. Having this surgery can change someone's life. It creates confidence which causes the person to show who they really are or who they want to be. So as long as someone doesn't just get a boob job just because they want one, I can say I agree with plastic surgery when it is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment